Photo Gallery | Local stars shine in shag dance contest
GRAND STRAND, SC (WMBF) The 29th National Shag Dance Champions at 2001 Night Club is scheduled for this weekend, coupled with an exciting array of activities including a contest among ten shining "Stars" of the Grand Strand, collegiate shag couples, and National Shag competitors and a tribute to jazz great Etta James by last year's champions.
The sixth annual "Shagging with the Stars" event will be held on Friday, Jan. 27. Doors open at 7 p.m. for the contest that begins at 8 p.m. The following stars will be competing to win the male and female title:
- Marla Branson, WMBF News with Matt Free
- Maureen Cahill Butwin, Nibils Restaurant with River Harmon
- Lisa Robertson-Schmittle, Myrtle Beach Police Department with Jeff Hargett
- Christie Turner, RE/MAX Ocean Forest with Bill Barber
- Jessica Worley, Ocean Drive Resorts with Jason Cagle
- Scott Brown, Myrtle Beach Pelicans with Mary Lynn Myrick
- Tony Dennis, Myrtle Beach Fire Department with Cameron Davis
- O’Neil McCoy, “Broadway at the Beach” with Autumn Jones
- Reverend Jonathan Tompkins, First United Methodist Church with Mandy Holt
- Rhett Graham, Wells Insurance with Myers Varn
The second National Collegiate Championship will be held on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 9:30 p.m.
Admission is $20 each night, with all proceeds benefitting the "Beth Mitchell Memorial Scholarship”. In previous years, more than $65,000 has been awarded to deserving college students.
This weekend of shag is sponsored by WMBF News, South Atlantic Bank, The Shaggers Hall of Fame, Eddie and Katherine Monsour, Bruce and Camille Morgan, Bobby Kelly – State Farm Insurance and RE/MAX Ocean Forest.
For more information about this event, contact Barry Thigpen at 843-222-6706.
Copyright 2012 WMBF News. All rights reserved.