Excessive heat watch in effect for the entire area | News
An EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH is now in effect for the entire area for Friday & Saturday. The heat index is forecast to rise to 107 to 112.
The National Weather Service in Wilmington has issued an excessive heat watch which is in effect from Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon.
The combination of humidity and heat will create heat index values between 102 and 107 degress Friday and between 105 and 122 degrees Saturday afternoon.
The hottest temps and the highest head index values will occur in the middle and late afternoon of Friday and Saturday.
Heat of this magnitude can trigger heat exhaustion or even heat stroke. The body's ability to keep itself cooled can break down due to circulatory and chemical changes when exposed to extreme heat.
The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous situation so make sure you drink plenty of fluids. Stay out of the sunshine in the heat of the day. Check up on relatives and neighbors. Make sure pets have plenty of water and please do not leave children in the car unattended.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Nude Virginia couple arrested in South Carolina
- North Myrtle Beach mayor proclaims half-staff flags on May 15
- North Myrtle Beach adds recycling options for beachgoers, residents
- North Myrtle Beach hosts annual Mayfest on Main festival Sat May 11
- City cracks down on teen drinking, businesses slow to follow